Mindset Follow up

In an earlier post I talked about mindset and how changing our mindset will effect our success. Today I want to follow up with my experience applying a growth mindset to my classes.

When I was a kid I usually excelled at my classes. Because I this I assumed I was just smart and that things would just always would come easy to me. When I started to take harder classes in high school this mentality bit me in the behind and I started to lose motivation to try hard, especially in my math classes. I assumed that I was in fact not a math person.

When I started to go to college I was faced with a decision that we have everyone comes at least once. What should I do with for work? Having been recently married and having a desire to provide for my family I knew that I didn't have time to really search around and waste time. Having always heard that the higher paid jobs use math I started math classes again with that attitude that I was going to work hard and actually learn. Believe or not that is was happened, and as I learned I started to enjoy math. This first decision led my to my current major, statistics, which I really enjoy.

This was my first experience with learning that we can develop skills that we want and that we aren't just stuck with what we were given at birth.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My Smart Goals

Surprisingly Positive Things about ASU West!

Nurturing a Growth Mindset to succeed